Friday, November 18, 2005

clean potentiometers are good

I have an Ibanez Flying V, it is about 25 years old. I like it because it sounds good, the fingerboard and neck are comfortable, and it's light. I don't exercise it as much as I should, and the pots and pickup selector switch have become more than a little "skritchy", so I got some spray to clean them with. You spray in a bit and work the switch back and forth, it gets better.

In the past, I have gone to Radio Shack and gotten "TV Tuner" spray, which works fairly well, however it is not 'ozone safe'.

This time, I got some Hosa D5S-6 DeOxit spray. This spray was not available in the guitar side of the music store, but on the pro audio side.

You carefully remove the faceplate the electronics are attached to in order to access the backs of the switches, and you spray very sparingly.

Used as directed: sprayed in a little, worked the switches/knobs, waited a little, sprayed in a little more. The pots are incredibly smooth and it now sounds vintage again. A 5 oz can will last basically forever. I do not recall the TV tuner smoothing the pots like this did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home