Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Why people don't vote

Seeing as it's election day, I will mention this. Went into the convenience store/gas station to pay for some gas. In line in front of me is a woman customer who is extolling the virtues of the challenging presidential candidate, and behind the counter is a young man filling coffee pots who is extolling the virtues of the incumbent, and also behind the counter in the middle is the woman running the cash register, and she says:

"I don't think it's right that we're in those peoples' country, and he's the one who sent our boys over there dying, but it's not going to make any difference to me because no matter who wins I'll still be making minimum wage with no benefits so I'm not going to vote. My sister would be mad to hear that because she supports [inaudible] but that's how I'm gonna show what I feel is not vote and I won't complain or ask for anything because I wouldn't get it anyway".

Which effectively silences everyone in earshot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home